October 11, 2010

Rambling # 4

Well, I did it, I ordered a HP Mini netbook and it's coming tomorrow Inshallah. Now what to do next?

Once it gets here, how do I get it talking and activated and thus ready for me to use? I got it through Verizon Wireless, I subscribed to their Mobile Broadband plan. I thought this would kinda kill two birds with one stone, as I wanted a Netbook anyway, and once my AT&T contract runs out in May, and I have decided not to renew my contract with them, then I won't have to buy another cell phone and go prepaid like I was going to do, because my thinking was firstly that hardly anyone calls me anyway unless it's my husband, family, or the occasional friend, and secondly, if anyone does call me, they can use my Skype number.

My mobile broadband plan has 5 gb of data usage, and I'm kinda having a hard time trying to figure out how long it'd take me to use up that much data. Although I'm thinking it might not be a good idea to go streaming a radio station all day while I'm at work or anything like that. Although it will be cool to be able to surf on this thing while I'm eating lunch. Or while I'm in the car or somewhere else. And I've got a wireless router here at the house, so while I'm here, I shouldn't be using any of the mobile data usage, at least I sure hope not.

The only thing is, I'd wanted to put Jaws on the netbook and my understanding was that the ideal recommendation for memory was 2 GB of RAM and not the one that the Netbook has. I bought a 2 GB memory card but I'm not sure if it's a RAM memory card or just a standard storage card. Guess I'll find out tomorrow. I'm just kinda concerned as to whether or not Jaws will work or not. If it doesn't, I guess I could use System Access, though I'll have to get the version that works with the atom processors. Or I could use NVDA. I've just not decided yet, though I'm leaning toward System Access, because I'd like to use the SA Mobile Network on the netbook too. Decisions, decisions, I guess.

Whatever the case, though, I don't think I'll be using my refreshable Braille display on the netbook as I just want something to carry around the house and I don't want to have to toat the Braille display along with it. So it really doesn't matter which screen reader I choose I guess.

Anyway, if anyone's using Jaws with a netbook, I'd like your thoughts, as well as how you got the thing activated, etc. I'm just really excited. My package should be here by 3 PM tomorrow per the tracking info, and I only hope I can concentrate at work tomorrow *smile*.

1 comment:

  1. i use jaws with a netbook, and it works fine with 1 gb of ram.

    ReplyDelete